Saturday, August 30, 2008

Introduction

I'm not sure if anybody will read this but im quite bored and i though i might let everyone know a little bit about myself and why i'm going to germany.

Who?
I'm John Rogan, 15 years of age and i live in Pennlake. I go to Crestood and im in 10th grade.

Where are you going?
Germany! I'm going to be in Aschersleben which is in the state of Saxony-Anhalt. I'll be stay with a host family. They seem really nice and i cant wait to meet them. I have a host brother (15) and a host sister(17). The whole family seems to speak english which is pretty cool.

Why Germany?
That is an excellent question. I knew i wanted to study abroad somewhere but i had no idea where(but i wanted an english speaking country). So i applied for an AFS packet and inside i found a flier for the Congress-Bundestag Youth scholarship program. I figured i might as well do it and i didn't expect to get it at all......but i did and now im going for a year! Its better than paying 10k for a year.

Do you speak german?
.....ich spreche ein bisschen deutsch.
but besides that, nein.

When?
Ill be going to Washington on Sept 2nd and then leaving for germany on Sept 5th. Ill arrive in Frankfurt after a 9 hour plane ride and then take a 4 hour train ride to halle where i will be picked up by my host family. Ill have a tutor for the first month to teach me the language. I'm not sure when i come home.. maybe July?

Are you excited?
i'm more excited than you can imagine.
but im 10 times more nervous.....more on that some othertime..

No comments: