Saturday, February 21, 2009

Language

So i came to germany with no german language skills at all. So i have been learning pretty much on my own since i got here. I had a month long language school in my first month, but it didn't really help to much. Of course it benefited me a little, but i think i would have learned faster/better if i would have began school when i first got in germany.

But i have gotten better since i got here! Ive been here a little longer than 5 months and i can understand most things... i want to say that i understand alot, but i also dont understand alot. When people talk directly, i can understand alot. But when people are talking in groups, its alot harder. For example, in class, its extremely hard to understand. Like history. She talks the entire class, and i dont have enough vocab to understand. That being said.. sometimes i understand and sometimes i dont. Its hit and miss. One good thing that i can do now is that when i dont understand a word in a sentence, i can ask a person to explain it to me in german so i dont have to speak englisch. Most of the time, i can figure out what they meen! It feels good to figure it out like that.

Im "conversational"...
somewhat.


Dreaming in german
. I dont really dream that much. I think i have about one dream every month. I had a short one last night and it was in german. I wish that i would dream more (or remember them) so i could practice my german while ill sleep! PLus that would meen that im understand the language more!


Thinking in german/translating.
I wouldnt say that i "think" in german yet... i think that i think in the language of the hour. When im speaking englisch.. i think in english. But when im speaking in english, i dont have to think....it just comes out. When i speak german, i dont think of the english sentence, and then translate it. I just simply say it. It not like i think.. tree. oh thats Baum... Baum is just simply tree. And when people speak german to me, i dont translate their sentences into english as its coming into my brain. It just simply is what it is. This is hard to explain.

As you all can probably see by reading this post, my englisch skills are deteriorating. I cant spell or use proper grammar anymore. I also forget words constantly. I can always picture the object in my head, but not what its called. It can be extremely frustrating.. especially when i know it in german!

It was difficult to articulate what i was trying to say in this post. Mainly the thinking in german thing. If any of you out there speak another language, how do you think? Post in the comments!

Ill be gone next week. So i wont be posting at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm currently living in Germany (I've only been here a month) and I feel like I'm learning nothing. I have no previous German experience other than a two week initial course, and that didn't do much. I was googling a phrase in German to see if it was correct and I stumbled on your blog. It was nice to see someone in a similar situation.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to Germany next year with AFS, and I was wondering, how's it like making friends in Germany? Do you kind of feel isolated all the time? How often are you homesick? Sorry these questions are so negative! Thanks :) -Sarah

Anonymous said...

An Indian guy I worked with said he knew he was assimilated when in his dreams, his Indian mom and dad spoke English.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh so coool! im pretty sure you are with afs CBYX im one of the 50 coming next year, so its really cool to read what you are doing because Ill be doing it next year haha =) it must be so cool doing this.. search me on facebook so we can chat haha (Dan Hein Nashua High School North, Nashua NH)

(ps i think i pasted my url to my facebook haha so just try that first.. danke schön =)

Anonymous said...

"It just simply is what it is. This is hard to explain."

Oh I can understand you very well O:
I mean, when I'm speaking english, I don't translate everything in german either. The sentences are just in my head.

Often I have english words in my head and... well I know the meanings of the words but I forgot what they are in german XD
I'm a german girl who forgets her own language D: xD